The best warm-up exercises do more than increase your heart rate. They build flexibility, strength, balance and coordination, in a way that is relevant and beneficial to your martial art.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, and your toes pointed out at 45 degrees.
- Shift your weight onto your right foot.
- Arc your left foot to the right and back across the front of your body, as if performing a slow lotus kick or outward crescent kick.
- Once your left foot comes back to its original position, let it swing behind and to the left in a small arc, before coming back up for another kick.
- Keep moving your left leg in this figure-8 pattern, without placing it back on the ground, for 30 seconds.
- Put your left leg down, and repeat the exercise with your right leg.
Try it yourself. I am sure it will improve your footwork and kicking ability.
What are your favorite warm-up exercises?